Thursday, April 13, 2006

Competitor portrait: MG Midget

Next portrait is of Palle Krag Rühe, who debuted in his Midget in 2005. His best laptime on Ring Djursland is 1:08,7 - 2,5 seconds faster than the Spitfire. The MG Midget is very like the Spitfire in layout and concept - both are small, sporty, british, rear wheel drive carbriolets, with small 4-cylinder engines. In period they were rivals both in the marketplace and on the racetrack, and I am really looking forward to revive this rivalry, which I believe will show some very close racing. My Spitfire might have the edge powerwise, but the Midget is lighter, and legend says it handles better as well. I've seen Palle race in hillclimbs, and know that when he is behind the wheel he gives everything he's got. Last year we became direct competitors, when he bought this Midget for track racing. The car is a former Swedish champion for several years, and turned out to be much faster than the Spitfire - not least because I only drove a few laps of training before having to stop. In spite of this Palle has made several improvements over the winter - follow his progress on his Danish Only-homepage hére (I do!). Status now is that the Midget delivers almost 100 horsepower and weighs under 700 kilos. And that Palle generally seems to attack the task very seriously, and even got himself a servicevan and a trailer. Is it possible to compete with this, when driving to the races by public road in your race car? I hope so - he didn't believe me when I told him that service vehicles and trailers aren't allowed for cars under 1300 cc!