Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Tech update: New gearbox

I prepared everything for extracting the gearbox Saturday, and got the helping hand of my Transportation and Inventory Manager Jørgen Klithom, when it finally came to lifting it out Sunday morning. The parts for renovating the gearbox and change the ratios to close-ratio specification were all lying ready, supplied by Rimmer Bros and Canley Classics respectively. This was done by a local expert, and I had the gearbox back in the garage by Sunday evening. Monday evening the new gearbox assembly was installed in the car again - with much sweat and tears by myself and sponsor Claus Hagstrøm. I am now pretty sure that pulling out engine and gearbox in one operation and mating them outside the car would be the easier option, should gearbox work became necessary again. But we did it, and everything seems fine. After connecting the hydraulics up again I should be able to test the gearbox Tuesday evening.