Thursday, September 20, 2007

Race report 2006: DM heat 1 og 2

Saturday may 27th I packed the Spitfire and headed for Ring Djursland. The car went fine, but after the hassle I wasn't my usual optimistic self. First qualifying was an eye opener, as the time of 1:13,7 was 2 seconds slower than my previous best - and 6,5 seconds slower tha the rival MG Midget. it was a catastrophe, and quite clearly something was not right with the car. The engine sounded OK, but didn't pull as it should, and less than 4000 rpmnothing happened. It revved to 7000, but still not much happened. I was devestated - that time was far, far too slow. Qualifying too was only marginally better with 1:13,2.

Later saturday we raced Heat 1, and I started dead last. The conditions were with me, as it drizzled and the track was wet and trecherous. Unfortunately I flogged the start, as the engine didn't have enough revs, and almost died. I the first corner I managed to get by a Frogeye and an Alfa Giulia, but this didn't last. And on lap 5 the engine suddenly missed on a cylinder, and I pitted, jumped out of the car, pulled the bonnet up and found one plug lead loose. I rejoined several laps down, and only drove to finish. During the race my best lap was 1:16,9, 3,5 seconds after the quick Midget. Rain is good!

Race 2 was Sunday, and I went for maximum attack. At the start I used more revs, and came away OK - but last, close to an Austin A40. Lap 2 I came close and passed, and built up a lead over the next 4 laps. I drove quite determined, and used all the car had - which wasn't much. The exit out of curves was essential, as my ability to accelerate down the straight was near nil. As I was lapped by an Elan, I had to drive off the line which killed my speed, and suddenly the Austin was there, overtaking me on the straight. I took the Spitfire by the neck, and the next 5 laps a the Spitfire and the Austin were separated by tenths of seconds. I had several attempts, but couldn't pass. Very good fight, and at the flag we were separated by half a second. That duel saved my weekend.

And unless many other I left the track with an undamaged car: The wet weekend took its toll. On the drive home it was quite clear, that the engine lacked power, and it didn't work at street-revs at all. With only 14 days to the next race I was desparate - I had to get closer to the Midget.